Sunday, May 28, 2017

Afraid You'll Miss It?

I'm confessing!

I got to church this morning and,
realized our pastor was not preaching
(our pastor is amazing!),
it was graduation Sunday
(we have no graduate this year)
and you know what comes next, right?

Well, I waited for Strike 3 just like you're waiting for it,
but it didn't come.

Please know that I love church and yes, I know it's not about me.
I'm just being honest when I say that 
I walked into church hopeful and 
then sat in the pew for a few minutes.....disappointed.

I wondered who this guy was that was going to 
"try to fill in" for our pastor, and
what he could say to me 
(since I was not a current graduate).

Well, maybe there was a Strike 3,
maybe it was me and my attitude :(

If you follow me on Facebook, 
then you might know that I retired from teaching on Friday
(after 24 years).
Everybody keeps asking....
what are you going to do now????
what are your plans????
you're too young to retire (thank you), 
are you going to work somewhere else????

Well, the truth is, I don't really know.
What we (my husband and I) know
is that God has released me from full-time teaching right now.

So, how about that?!
I was sitting there this morning, 
not even realizing that I was just like some of those sweet graduates.
Yes, some of them thought they knew what was next,
college, military, mission field, etc
but I also have to believe that many of them sat there wondering what was REALLY next.

And then it came,
the quote that I wanted to write about,
the thing that this fill-in preacher said
to these graduates (and to ME)....

"God's ability to reveal HIS plan for me is much stronger than my ability to miss it."

I forget that sometimes,
when I'm wondering what's next,
when I'm seeking HIS will.
I keep thinking that it somehow ALL depends on me,
me looking, me seeking, me searching, me asking
and then me wondering if I'll miss it when HE finally reveals it.

Yes, I do think I need to keep talking to HIM
and yes, I need to stay in the Word,
but I also need to trust that when HE is speaking to me,
that HE will make sure that I hear HIM. 

Tonight I am a "graduate" who is thankful
that I didn't miss HIS word for me this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment