Saturday, July 16, 2016

Sit or Serve?

Hi! My name is "Martha", and I am a busy-a-holic.
Don't get me wrong, I can sit in my chair in my old house dress
for hours on end with the best of them.
But many days find me scurrying around,
especially if I know that company is coming.

I need things neat, in order,
prepared, grocery shopping done, everything "just right".
And when they finally arrive I am working to be a good hostess,
which doesn't always involve me sitting and visiting.
I'm always thinking about what needs to be done next.

I am in a Facebook Group with several other Christian teachers
and we are doing an online Bible study together this summer.
We are doing "Open Your Bible" by She Reads Truth.
While doing my study this morning I read something about the
Mary and Martha story (Luke 10:38-42) that hadn't occurred to me before.

"Mary ceased readying her home, readying herself,
she even ceased SERVING JESUS for the opportunity to SIT WITH JESUS."

In my mind when I think of this story,
I think of her not serving the others who must have been there.
But I skipped over the thought that she stopped serving JESUS too.
She stopped serving Jesus!
She did it in order to sit at HIS feet and learn from HIM,
to be near HIM, to hear from HIM, to soak in HIS presence.

I have to "work" hard for my "Mary Moments".
Funny, huh?
But it's the goal....MORE SITTING,
more surrender, more resting in HIS presence,
more resting in HIS Word.

Let's leave the dishes in the sink and SIT down with HIM,
and trust HIM to tell us when to get up and SERVE.

No comments:

Post a Comment